lundi 12 avril 2010

thinking about buying a NAS..

that's right people...

i'm thinking Synology 410j + four 1.5Tb hdds in RAID5 .. connected 24/7 to the internet..
in order to back-up all the music (around 1To), pics/vidz/stuff I art (1To) and movies and misc (1To).. and share the whole SHEBANG with a few people..

It's pretty cheap for a Syno (400$ without hdds..)

Does someone use it ?
Is cool ?

3 commentaires:

litlgrey a dit…

You have $400 to throw about? I don't have any part of that figure except the double 0 at the end. Oh, and I blow hard drives constantly.

Paul Durango a dit…

Yeah well I guess it's time to put some real money in a serious storage thingy..

$400 for the empty nas then around $450 for four 1.5Tb hdds..

that's $850 and HOURS to hook the thing up but I really think that could end up as super.

RAID 5 = you have 4 disks running, if one dies you just replace it with a new one, wait a few hours for the box to compute everything and you don't lose anything.. pretty appealing..

and i'll be able to 'host' my own server.. slsk like.. 24/7

I really can't afford to lose any of my preeeecciioouuss mp3s gathered over the years...

x

Level1Alt a dit…

Check out DroBo also